How to make French Onion Soup | Instant Pot Recipes
Seems like, believe it or not it is our very first Soup made in Instant Pot. A few month ago we posted Meatball Soup but it was just a regular recipe. Certainly, it was still absolutely yummy. Now we are on experiment mode and we keep converting regular recipes into pressure cooking dishes. Our next converted recipe will be a classic French Onion Soup. Chef John provided us with an excellent source of inspiration for this traditional French Onion Soup. Certainly, he was not the only one. There were also some motives and features borrowed from Jamie Oliver, Laura Vitale and home chef Rockin Raffi’s Home Cooking . As an independent and very curious home chefs we made our own twists and here is our caramelized, tasteful and flavorful French Onion Soup. Above all, from a free meal for poor people to a fine-dining expensive restaurants, French Onion Soup is one of the most delicious comfort foods. Consequently, follow the simple steps in our recipe and learn how to make quick French Onion Soup easily.
Above all, the best recipes for busy families is the motto of our website. Therefore, start playing with regular recipes to transform them into fast and delicious meals in Pressure Cooker.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine (dry)
- 3 lbs red onions
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary, minced
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- few leaves Sage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 pc bread
- 1 cup shredded Comté cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Make your choice based on the budget, number of family members, kitchen size and other relevant considerations.
Here is a quick tip to consider when selecting the size of Instant Pot:
3Qt size – good for 2 people
6Qt size – good for 3-4 people
8Qt size – good for 5-6 people
- Slice the onions.
- Select (Sauté) program and set Mode Indicator to “More”. Adjust time to 30 minutes.
- When Inner Pot is hot, add butter and olive oil.
- Now it’s time to add the main ingredient – onion. Season it with salt. Mix it well, cook it for about 25 minutes until it is caramelized.
- Pour a cup of dry white wine.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Deglaze the bottom. Mix it thoroughly again.
- Add flour, beef broth, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and mix it well.
- Close the lid and turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position.
- Select “Soup/Broth” program, choose “High” pressure and “Less” mode indicator. Now set time to 10 min.
- When time is up, make a quick release. When the lid comes off, season with black and Cayenne pepper, add a few leaves of Sage and mix it well again.
- Add minced garlic and olive oil into a small bowl.
- Spread this tasty mixture over the bread. Apply it generously on both sides.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and let the bread toast for 15 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Ladle the soup in some oven proof bowls and top them with the bread and cheese. Also you may ladle the soup into the pots with lids. No doubt it will bring more taste and flavor. Finally, preheat the oven to 430°F and place the bowls and pots into the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese melts and it’s bubbly and golden brown.
Voilà! In other words, Classic French Onion Soup is ready now. Most importantly, treat yourself with a glass of good wine. Bon appetit!
Nutrition Facts Disclaimer
(Nutrition Facts provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Other Pressure Cooker Recipes
How to make French Onion Soup is not a secret for you anymore. As we promised, there are a few variations to a traditional French Onion Soup. It’s up to you to implement them or introduce your own features.
Anyway, if you have a spirit of adventure and your cooking time is quite limited, check the following Instant Pot recipes:
Stay tuned as the list of our simple step by step recipes is updated frequently. Also we focus on the healthy recipes only. The pressure cooker recipes and ideas become more and more popular. No doubt, this exactly matches our strategy as well as our promise to our customers is “Best recipes for busy families”.
Certainly, all best recipes for busy families have been thoroughly tested by us. We only recommend recipes and kitchen appliances that we use and like. Finally, take a look at our unbiased review of Instant Pot. Enjoy your instapot recipes.