Macaroni and Cheese | Instant Pot Recipes
Learn how to make easily a Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe in Instant Pot. Pasta and cheese casseroles are known since 14th century. Every country in the world including Italy, England, USA and Canada consider Mac and Cheese its own national dish. The third US president Thomas Jefferson fell in love with this delicious dish. He tried to re-invent a machine for extruding pasta. As the story goes, he didn’t succeed much at this process, so he decided to start importing both macaroni and Parmesan cheese. In 1802, Jefferson served “a pie called macaroni” at a state dinner. So this is the official birth of homemade Mac and Cheese in the USA. Later on Kraft made it part the American life by adding the Old Cheddar Cheese.
As usual, there is a secret ingredient which adds aroma to Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Nutmeg will bring an extra flavor to your creamy and cheesy dinner. Don’t add too much as it might make you sleepy. Nutmeg is known for its calming effect. If you feel stressed, here is a solution for you: add a pinch of nutmeg to a glass of warm milk and have it before sleeping.
The best recipes for busy families is the motto of our website. Make delicious and healthy Instant Pot recipes with love and creativity.
- 14oz (400g) macaroni
- 1 cup (115g) Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (85g) Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup (85g) Mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons (30g) flour
- 4 tablespoons (60g) butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups (1L) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Make your choice based on the budget, number of family members, kitchen size and other relevant considerations.
Here is a quick tip to consider when selecting the size of Instant Pot:
3Qt size – good for 2 people
6Qt size – good for 3-4 people
8Qt size – good for 5-6 people
- Add the macaroni, 1/2 tbsp salt to the Instant Pot. Pour hot water. Make sure the water covers the pasta completely but not by much. About 1/2 an inch over the pasta. Secure the lid and turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position.
- Press “Pressure Cook” program and select “High Pressure” mode, then adjust time to 3 minutes.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker using Quick Release (let the steam escape instantly from the inner pot, turn the steam release handle on the lid to “Venting” position.
- Drain the pasta.
- Select (Sauté) program and set Mode Indicator to “Normal”. Adjust time to 10 minutes.
- In an inner pot, melt the butter, add flour and whisk. Cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add the milk and whisk until smooth. Cook until slightly thickens, about 5-6 minutes. Cancel (Sauté) program.
- Add 1 tsp salt, 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg and whisk well.
- Gradually add 3/4 of the grated cheeses to the sauce and whisk until melted after each addition.
- Add macaroni to the sauce and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 360F (180C).
- Transfer to a baking dish, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Instant Pot Baked Mac and Cheese Tips:
Cook at high pressure for half of the pasta package cooking time. For example, if the cook time is 6 minutes, cook at high pressure for 3 minutes.
Add hot water to cook macaroni. It will give you confidence that you made them properly at the most optimal time.
Serve warm. You can use any type of cheese that melts well. Also feel free to add topping like bacon, herbs, spices or anything you like.
It’s time to try your baked Macaroni and Cheese. It look amazingly creamy and cheesy. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Disclaimer
(Nutriton Facts provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Other Pressure Cook Recipes
Furthermore, add to your homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe one of the following options: Beef Stroganoff, Mashed Potatoes, Shrimp Alfredo Pasta, Chinese Noodles, BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Chinese Fried Rice, Roasted Potatoes, Whole roasted chicken, Oatmeal Porridge and Moroccan Lamb Tajine. The baked Mac and Cheese recipe is delicious and simple. Stay tuned as the list of our simple step by step recipes is updated frequently. Also we focus on the healthy recipes only. The pressure cooker recipes and ideas become more and more popular and this exactly matches our strategy as well as our promise to our customers is “Best recipes for busy families”.
All best recipes for busy families have been thoroughly tested by us. We only recommend recipes and kitchen appliances that we use and like. Take a look at our unbiased review of Instant Pot. Enjoy your instapot recipes.